We are an exciting company based in Oxford, 40+ person start-up, backed by world class investors. The team is on a mission to accelerate the adoption of sustainable (green) business practices by organisations globally.
The core services revolve around the web applications that we build inhouse, which are accessed by over 50,000 members from 180 countries using a variety of desktop and mobile browsers.
New software is being built using modern (yet stable) technologies, such as Docker, AWS, Python 3 and AngularJS 2, and we aim to upgrade older software to use the same stack. We’re also on a journey to migrate to a ServiceOriented Architecture and Continuous Delivery.
The Development Team is a crossfunctional team (UX, UI and development) that employs Agile procedures like Scrum and eXtreme Programming, and are very keen on continual improvement.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders and teammates to help create a better understanding of the problems the software should solve, and contribute creative and costeffective solutions to such problems.
- Implement client and serverside software using Pair Programming (or design/code reviews), TestDriven Development, Merciless Refactoring and Continuous Integration, among other practices.
- Test the work implemented by your colleagues, and in turn they will test yours.
- Contribute to the administration of the servers powering our production/staging environments and development tools. There is increasingly less demand for this as we continue to migrate our services to PaaS and SaaS environments (esp. AWS).
- Occasionally act as firstline support for internal users, and secondline support for external ones.
- Five years of experience as a software developer, or two years for strong candidates with a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering.
- Commercial experience with an OOP language (e.g., Python, Java, Ruby, C++).
- Ability to produce wellcrafted software (i.e., one with an elegant design and great code).
- Be keen on becoming a Generalizing Specialist (aka “FullStack Developer”). This is, someone who is competent with most/all the technologies in our stack, but specializes in some of them. We will give you the time and the tools to get there.
- Live in the EU and have the ability to work from the Oxford office at least a few days every month – That’s right we offer Remote work too!
Why you’d enjoy working with us
- Your work will help to improve the environmental performance of thousands of companies worldwide.
- You’ll be working with a disciplined and talented software development team.
- We are looking to grow there will be ample opportunity to develop new skills, experience and seniority.
- You’ll get an excellent worklife balance. We work 37.5 hours/week and overtime is very uncommon. We understand that building great software products is all about quality, not quantity.
- We will support you in your continuing professional development.
- You’ll get the ability to work from home most of the time and we’ll help you have a comfortable work environment.
- Because we believe in continuous improvement, we are upfront with each other on how we can do a better job.
- Managers and business people come from a technical background and appreciate and trust technical staff.